The Film Studies curriculum provides a space for students to engage with ﬁlms of all varieties, towards the goal of sharpening their media literacy skills. NVC’s program is designed for students who are interested in studying the multiple functions of ﬁlm, with the goal of transferring to a four-year institution, developing professional skills, or self-enrichment.
Did You Know?
- Demand in California for video and film editors is set to grow 18% through 2028 – much faster than the average occupational
- For the same period, steady 10% job growth is projected for film directors.
- Cinematographer and camera operator jobs are set to grow 16%.
The Film Studies program at NVC is designed to produce critical thought about the medium of cinema and provides students with an opportunity to examine its aesthetic and entertainment value, commercial and business interests, and capacity to represent popular social and cultural ideologies. Students develop a vocabulary for evaluating ﬁlms in their theoretical, cultural, and historical context; analyze commercial aspects of the trade; and learn the phases of the production process. The AS-T in Film Studies provides a foundation in the discipline for students who wish to transfer to Baccalaureate programs for ﬁlm, television and electronic media majors in the CSU system.
Film Studies graduates can work in a variety of roles related to ﬁlm production, criticism, and appreciation. In addition, their analytical and research skills and writing experience are in demand in commercial creative occupations such as advertising, marketing, and corporate communications.
- Film festival producers and programmers
- Film Critic
- Arts and Entertainment writer
- Film and video archivists
- Digital content producers
- Explore more:
- CareerOneStop – BLS.gov guide to local wage averages & job growth
Collectively, CSU Long Beach, CSU Los Angeles, and CSU Northridge oﬀer 11 ﬁlm and television undergraduate degrees, with emphases that include emerging media, criticism, and production. Visit the Transfer Center to explore your options, and consult with NVC Counseling to pick the appropriate prerequisites for your intended destination.