Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Petitioning for Graduation

Napa Valley College awards four types of associate degrees. 

  1. An Associate of Arts Degree is earned in general areas of study that provide students with a liberal arts foundation such as natural sciences, social sciences, or humanities. They are often awarded to students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution. 
  2. An Associate of Science Degree is earned in occupational programs that provide students with skills and training for immediate entry into the workforce such as health occupations, business, and various technical fields. Please refer to the Napa Valley College catalog or make an appointment with a counselor to inquire about the graduation requirements.

In addition to the A.S. and A.A. degrees, Napa Valley College also offers two transfer degrees:

  1. A.A. for Transfer (AA-T) and
  2. A.S. for Transfer (AS-T).

All candidates for graduation must file a petition in the Admissions and Records Office by the ninth week of the semester they wish to graduate. The specific date is listed in the course schedule. During the summer, students must file during the fifth week if they want to graduate in the summer semester. Again, please see the course schedule for specific dates. For Graduation Petition deadlines refer to the Admissions and Records Calendar or consult with your counselor.

Before submitting a graduation petition to the Admissions and Records Office, students are required to meet with a counselor or attend a Graduation Workshop offered through General Counseling.