Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Application Procedures for VA Education Benefits

  1. Verify your eligibility and determine the benefit chapter you are eligible for by calling the 1 (888) 442-4551 to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor. Or you can apply by going to If you are applying for Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E), formerly called VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, an application can be submitted though at

    The chapters are: 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®); 30 (active duty veteran); 31 (VR&E); 35 (children/dependents or spouse); and 1606 (Selected Reserve). Please refer to the GI Bill® Official Website at for more details.
  1. New students must complete an Online Admission Application.
  2. New students must complete the math and English assessment and NVC orientation
  3. Submit official copies of transcripts from previous colleges attended, copy of VA form DD-214 Member Copy-4 or Service-2 (if a veteran) or form DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE, if in the Reserves) to the Financial Aid Office.
  4. Make an appointment to see a veterans counselor at the General Counseling Center (Bldg 1300) to develop a VA Educational Plan one week after you submit your official copies of transcripts.
  5. Fill out and submit your application for veterans benefits online to the VA at 
  6. Complete the following documents.
    1. Statement of Understanding of VA Educational Benefits
    2.  In-Processing Checklist
    3. Enrollment Certification Request, required every semester
  7. Apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Can be used together with Veterans Educational Benefits. 

Note: Incomplete application packet will not be processed. You are required to submit an Enrollment Certification Request every semester after you finalized your schedule/registration.

IMPORTANT! CHAPTERS 30 and 1606 : You MUST VERIFY your enrollment every month with the VA either by 1-877-823-2378 OR by signing on to WAVES at . Click on "Verify Attendance" (W.A.V.E.).

If you have questions regarding your payment information, eligibility or delimiting date, please call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or go online at Click on Questions & Answers.

CHAPTER 31:  Your enrollment will be certified after the VA Certifying Official receives an authorization from a VA Veterans Readiness and Employment.

Programs approved for GI Bill® benefits are listed in WEAMS.

"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at