Napa Valley College is proud to sponsor the Puente Project. The Puente Project is an academic preparation program whose mission is to increase the number of educationally underrepresented students who:
*enroll in four-year colleges,
*earn college degrees, and
*return to the community as mentors and leaders for future generations.
The Puente Program is open to all students.
Puente provides three areas of service to students: teaching, counseling, and mentoring. Puente trains school and college staff members to conduct this program at their sites. Puente serves students in 64 community colleges and 36 high schools throughout California. Puente's staff training programs have benefited over 40,000 students directly and over 400,000 indirectly.
The one-year program at Napa Valley College begins with Phase 1: English 120A, English 95, and Counseling 100 in the fall semester and resumes in the spring semester with Phase 2: English 120B, English 97, and Counseling 105. The Puente approach is unique in that the reading is focused on Latinx and Mexican-American literature, essays, and cultural writings in both the fall and spring semester classes. Please see the link below (Puente Project General Information) for more information and the reports of success for students enrolled in this program.
Contact Marci Sanchez, Puente Counselor and Co-Coordinator for more information at email@example.com or (707) 256-7235.
Steps to Enroll in the Program:
1. Follow Steps 1-4 of the 5 Steps to Enroll for Napa Valley College.
2. After determining your English placement, complete the Fall 2020 Application Form
3. Expect a call or email contact from a member of the Puente team (Marci Sanchez or Christina Rivera)
4. Leave Tue/Thu open in your schedule to add the Puente class sections of Coun 100, Engl 120A, and Engl 95.
5. Attend a summer orientation to meet the team and your future classmates
Contact Christina Rivera, Puente Mentor Coordinator by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (707) 256-7107 to learn more about the mentoring opportunities with Puente students.
Puente Project General Information