I understand that if I am provided with Interpreting Services from Disability Student Program Services (DSPS) at Napa Valley College, then I will accept and adhere to the following guidelines and responsibilities:
- I will check my email regularly for correspondence from Sandy Barros, Student Services Specialist email@example.com, as this will be the main source of communication in regards to interpreting services.
- I may also receive text messages from the IL or can send the IL text messages at 707-666-5808.
2. Requesting Services:
- I understand that I have priority registration, and that I need to register early. I will make an appointment with Sheryl Fernandez the DSPS Counselor to register for classes each semester and then will request interpreting services through Sandy Barros.
- I understand that if I make my request less than 2 weeks (10 working days) before classes start, then it is likely that I will not have interpreters arranged by the start of class.
- I will contact Sandy Barros, Student Services Specialist by email, phone, or in person 24 hours in advance of any absences from class.
- If I do not give 24 hours' notice of an absence, I will be considered a "No-Show".
- If I am going to miss a class on Monday, then I will contact the Interpreter Liaison by Friday morning to avoid being considered a "No-Show".
- I realize the importance of being on time for class. I understand that the interpreter will only wait 10 minutes for each hour that the class is scheduled up to a 20 minute maximum. If I do not show up before the end of this waiting period, then I will be considered a "No-Show", and no interpreter will be provided.
- If I contact the Interpreter Liaison to let her know that I am running late, then, if possible, my interpreter will be asked to wait for me until I arrive.
5. Suspension of Services:
- I am allowed only two "No Shows" per class or four "No Shows" overall per semester. I understand that if I am a "No-Show" three times in one class, or five times overall, then my interpreting services may be temporarily suspended. Services may only be reinstated after I meet with the DSPS Counselor.
- Once my services are reinstated, I understand that if I am a "No-Show" again, then my services may be suspended for the rest of the semester until a formal complaint is filed and ruled upon.
6. Changes to Class Schedule:
- I will notify Sandy Barros, Student Services Specialist immediately if there are any changes to my class schedule (if I drop a class, room changes, etc.)
7. Interpreters for Outside of Class:
- If I need class-related interpreting services outside of a scheduled class time, (e.g. teacher conference, field trip, etc.), I will make the request to the Interpreter Liaison using email or text messaging, at least one week (5 working days) in advance.
8. Interpreting Problems:
If I have complaints about an interpreter, I will first discuss it with the interpreter and then, only if the problem is not resolved; discuss it with Jan Schardt, Accommodations Specialist. I will report "Interpreter No Shows" immediately.
- I will notify Sandy Barros, Student Services Specialist, in advance of all test days. If I take my exam in the Testing and Tutoring Center, then no interpreter will be provided. I will request interpreters for my final exams 2 weeks in advance.
- I will not have personal conversations with the interpreter while he/she is interpreting in class. I will not behave in a rude or threatening manner toward the interpreter. I understand that gross misconduct may result in suspension of services.
- I will not exchange personal phone numbers or email addresses with the interpreters. All communications are to be handled by Sandy Barros, Student Services Specialist.