NVC's Dedication to Accessibility
Napa Valley College (NVC) is dedicated to providing equal access to individuals with disabilities, in accordance with Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008.
Napa Valley College prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of disability and takes action to prevent such discrimination by providing reasonable accommodations to eligible individuals with disabilities.
It is the responsibility of all NVC staff, faculty, and students to adhere to the practice of equal access to opportunities affiliated with the institution.
- Civil rights law applies to all non-Federal entities
- Does not deal directly with internet
- Guarantees access to employment, public services, public accommodations, and telecommunication
Section 508 Amendment to Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Signed into law in 1998)
- 16 rules that pertain to Web materials and information technology
- Federal procurement law - applies mainly to Federal Gov.
- Can apply to states, entities who receive Federal funds
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- "No otherwise qualified individual with a disability in the United States … shall, solely by reason of … disability, be denied the benefits of, be excluded from the participation in, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."
- A "qualified person with a disability" is defined as one…"who meets the academic and technical standards requisite to admission or participation in the education program or activity."
- Under the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 our College may not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, educational process, or treatment of students. Students who have self-identified, provided documentation of disability, and requested reasonable accommodations are entitled to receive approved modifications of programs, appropriate academic adjustments, or auxiliary aids that enable them to participate in and benefit from all educational programs and activities.
ADA Website….. http://www.ada.gov/
508 Website…… https://www.section508.gov/
504 Website….. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/civilrights/understanding/disability/