Students at Napa Valley College have access to online tutoring services from Smarthinking. With Smarthinking, students can chat with a live writing or math tutor at almost any time of day or night from any internet connection. Tutors are available to chat one-on-one with you to provide assistance with both writing math assignments.
To get started with Smarthinking, follow these steps:
- Go to https://services.smarthinking.com
- Enter your username and password
- Your username is "NVC" plus your student ID. For example, if your student ID is 0123456, then your username is NVC0123456
- Your initial password is your first name. You can change your password later in the "Profile" section of the "Manage Account" tab
You can also submit a completed draft of your writing assignment to the Smarthinking Writing Center for a tutor to review. The tutor will provide you with detailed, personalized feedback about your paper, typically within 24 hours.
To submit your writing assignment for review:
- Connect to Smarthinking (as described above)
- Choose the Essay Center or Grammar and Documentation Review option in the Writing Center area
- Complete the form and be sure to copy and paste your assignment (the instructions from your professor) into the field labeled "Provide a clear, detailed description of the assignment"
- Click the Browse button to locate and upload your paper
- Check your Smarthinking Personal Archive after 24 hours have passed to retrieve your essay review and feedback from Smarthinking. You can also sign-up in the "Profile" area of your account to receive a text message when the review of your paper has been returned!
- Use that feedback to revise and improve your paper