Which assessment test does NVC administer for English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) placement?
Napa Valley College administers the Combined English Language Skills Assessment (CELSA) test.
What is the test like?
A practice test is available to prepare and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that will be on the test. The test will take a maximum of 45 minutes.
How is the test scored?
0 – 20: Referral to Upper Valley Campus 967-2901 or Napa Adult School: 253-3594
21 – 32: ESL 50, 54, 55
33 – 42: ESL 60, 64
43 – 52: ESL 70, 74
53 – 62: ESL 80, 84, 106
63 – 75: ESL 106, 110
When can I take this test?
Drop-in testing hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30am - 4:00pm.
Can I retake this test?
Students may retake this test as many times as they wish.
When will I receive my results?
Results are presented to the student immediately after testing.
Please visit the Language Arts and Developmental Studies Division's webpage for more information.
When visiting the TTC, please honor our guidelines:
1. Food and drinks are not permitted in the test room. Bottled water is allowed.
2. A form of identification that includes your name and picture is required. Students without an ID will not be permitted to test.
3. Children and pets are not permitted in the testing area. If you have a service animal, please contact DSPS and Campus Police for approval.
4. Electronic devices are not permitted in the testing room. This includes, but is not limited to, cell phones, MP3 players, tablets, smart watches and laptops.
5. Storage space is limited; refrain from bringing personal items that you are not comfortable storing in a TTC cabinet.
6. All exams must be completed in one sitting.
7. Daily parking permits are required; failure to do so may result in a parking ticket issued by Campus Police. For information regarding parking, click here.
8. If violations of the directions/guidelines occur, the staff have the right to stop and/or refuse to administer the exam.