Students Rights and Responsibilities

Student Complaint & Grievance Procedure

The college believes that all students shall be afforded fair and equitable treatment in the application of all district procedures and regulations. Students who claim that there has been a violation or misapplication of the regulations in the college catalog, board policies, or operating procedures or who feel they have been denied due process may file a complaint or grievance.

Napa Valley College does not tolerate harassment on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic condition, genetic information, race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, including status as a non-native English speaker.  The college encourages any student who believes he or she has been subjected to such harassment to report the harassment, including complaints regarding gender equity, to the college’s Dean of Human Resources.  In addition, college employees are obligated to report alleged, suspected or known harassment to the Dean of Human Resources (Title IX Coordinator).  Reports may be submitted to the Dean of Human Resources, Laura Ecklin, in Room 1544.  The Dean may also be reached by phone at (707) 256-7100.   Reports must be filed within one year of the date of the alleged unlawful discrimination or within one year of the date on which the complainant knew or should have known the facts underlying the allegation of unlawful discrimination.  The college will conduct a prompt investigation of any reports of harassment. 

Any person who has a disability and is alleging failure to accommodate should contact the Section 504 Coordinator, Rebecca Scott, Dean of Library and Learning Resources, phone (707) 256-7417.

All complaints, except for harassment as described above, must be filed during the semester in which the problem occurs.  The complainant/grievant is asked to first address the concern directly to the person or office causing the complaint/grievance.

A grade assigned by an instructor is not a grievable matter, except for specific reasons, as outlined in the California Education Code (Section 76224):“When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor, and in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final.”  For complete details, please refer to the Student Complaint and Grievance Policy and Procedures Booklet (opens in a new window).  A printable version nonbooklet format is also available here.

The district agrees that there will be no harassment of complainants/grievants or other students because of participation in the complaint/grievance procedure or as a result of filing a complaint/grievance.

Complete clarification and explanation of the student complaint/grievance process can be obtained from the Office of Student Services in Room 1330, 256-7363 or from the Office of Instruction in Room 1531, 256-7150.  To file non-instructional complaints, see the Office of Student Services.  To file an instructional complaint, see the Office of Instruction.

If a student wishes to follow a grievance under Stage 2 and 3 of the Student Complaint and Grievance Policy S6320, the student must fully complete a student grievance form (opens in new window).  This form will be accepted only after completing the informal complaint process.


Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are encouraged to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

  • To the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) at if your complaint is associated with the institution’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.
  • To the CCC Chancellor’s Office by completing the web form below if your complaint does not concern CCC’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards.
  • If your complaint involves unlawful discrimination, to the Chancellor’s Office website at


Distance Ed Students

If you are a distance education student that resides and participates in online classes outside of California, you should contact the appropriate agency in your state of residence.  For a list of these agencies by state go to

Nothing in this disclosure should be construed to limit any right that you may have to take civil or criminal legal action to resolve your complaints.

The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO) has provided this disclosure to you in compliance with the requirements of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, as regulated in CFR 34, Sections 600.9 (b) (3) and 668.43(b). If anything in this disclosure is out of date, please notify the CCCCO at 1102 Q St., Sacramento, CA 95814. This disclosure was last revised on 5-09-11.