Napa Valley College counselors are dedicated to student success. Our counselors provide comprehensive academic support, while recognizing the individual needs of students within a diverse population.
Counselors work with students in assessing, planning, and achieving their immediate and long-range goals, as well as assisting students in developing self-knowledge, self-esteem, and self-confidence to enhance student learning and success.
Program Learning Outcome:
Students will be able to succeed in college by accessing and utilizing college systems, services and resources.
Types of Counseling Services
- Provide information regarding Napa Valley College’s academic procedures, programs, and services.
- Provide students with a comprehensive assessment, including academic strengths and needs, to assist them with class selection.
- Help students clarify their academic goals, select a major, and develop realistic academic work loads.
- Provide information on occupational and transfer programs, including general education and major course requirements.
- Help students develop educational plans that satisfy graduation and transfer requirements.
- Offer workshops on special career topics, such as nursing, teaching, and engineering.
- Provide activities and services that will assist students as they move to a four-year institution.
- Napa Valley College counselors are dedicated to student success. Our counselors proivde comprehensive academic support while recognizing the individual needs of students within a diverse population.
- Counselors work with students in assessing, planning, and achieving their immediate and long-range goals, as well as assisting students in developing career goals.
- Provide students with an assessment of skills, abilities, interests, work values, and personality style.
- Provide information on current and future employment trends.
- Help students develop effective models for making career decisions and setting goals.
- Provide instruction in job search techniques.
- Teach classes that emphasize career exploration and college success.
Personal Counseling/Crisis Intervention
- Provide short-term counseling and refer students to appropriate community resources.
- Assist students with personal, family, and other issues that may affect their educational progress.
- Offer support to students with a respect and understanding for their backgrounds, cultural values, gender, communication styles, abilities, and limitations.
- Advise potential students and community members of the college’s programs and services.
- Participate in community activities that promote the college.
- Act as liaison between the community’s schools/agencies and the college.
- Provide activities and services to recent high school graduates to ease the transition from high school to college.