Evaluation of Transcripts

Napa Valley College accepts many lower division college or university units earned at other accredited institutions. These transferred units may be used to satisfy graduation requirements.

Before chosing to send offical transcripts to Admissions and Records office, please read the instructions below:

Napa Valley College
Admissions and Records Office
2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway
Napa, CA 94558
ATTN: Evaluations


Transcripts will NOT be evaluated by the Transcript Evaluator unless a Counselor requests an official evaluation AFTER meeting with the student.

  1. Meet with a counselor for a preliminary transcript evaluation.  The counselor will then determine if an official evaulation is needed.
  2. Bring with you an official, sealed copy of your college transcript. Transcript evaluations cannot be completed with unofficial transcripts.  Transcripts with coursework completed prior to 1994 must be accompanied by either a detailed course description, or ideally, a course syllabus.
    • If your transcript was mailed directly to the college, the Counseling staff will try to locate it in the Admissions and Records Office, but it is always better to bring an official, sealed copy with you to expedite the process.
  3. The counselor will review your completed coursework.  If an official evaulation is needed for the transfer of credits towards a specific degree or program, the counselor will then forward your paperwork to the Transcript Evaluator in the Admissions and Records office.  Please allow 8-10 weeks for completion.

The Admissions and Records Evaluator will determine eligibility for, and extent of, credit. In general, there is no limit to the number of units a student may transfer to Napa Valley College. Courses may be used to meet degree requirements at Napa Valley College even if they have been used to meet requirements at another college or even if they are several years old. Napa Valley College does not grant college credit for courses completed at non-accredited colleges/universities, for life experiences or for upper division courses. See the graduation requirements for further information.

Military Service Credit

Veterans may receive credit for military service by submitting their official separation papers (Form DD214) to the Admissions and Records Office. A minimum of six months of service, including basic or recruit training, and an honorable discharge entitles the veteran to 2 units of health education, and 2 units of physical education. Those with more than one year of service may receive an additional 4 units elective credit for military service.

In-service training and U.S.A.F.I. course scores are evaluated on an individual basis. Students should submit the appropriate papers during the first semester of enrollment to the Evaluator in the Admissions and Records Office.

International Evaluations

Students who attended schools in other countries will need to get their transcripts evaluated by an international evaluating service. Napa Valley College recommends using World Education Services (WES). For more information on WES, contact their San Francisco office at (415) 677-9378 or visit their website.