Academic Probation 

After the first semester in which a student shows a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 for all units completed at Napa Valley College, the student shall be placed on "Academic Probation - First Semester" status.  After the second semester, a student who maintains less than 2.0 cumulative GPA shall be placed on "Academic Probation - Continuing" status. Removal from Academic Probation will occur when the cumulative GPA of a student on academic probation becomes 2.0 or better.


Academic Renewal 

The academic renewal policy allows a qualified student to remove previously recorded, substandard academic work from his/her grade point average (GPA). In accordance with Title 5, Sections 55764-5, Napa Valley College will allow a student to disregard up to 30 semester units of substandard course work from the calculation of the GPA.  Contact the Admissions and Records Office for information on the procedure.


Adding a Class 

To add classes at Napa Valley College you must obtain an "add" card from the instructor of the course on or after the first day of classes.  The Admissions and Records Office does not distribute add cards to students. There are specific course add deadlines that students should pay close attention too.  All deadlines are published in the Credit Class Schedule and on the Admissions and Records Calendar.


Advanced Placement (AP) 

Students who successfully complete the Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations may be eligible to receive college credit. To receive credit, students must achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on each AP exam. This credit may satisfy general education requirements for Napa Valley College, the California State University and the University of California. An official report of your test score(s) should be sent to the Admissions and Records Office and a petition filed requesting credit for your examination(s). Contact the Admissions and Records Office or consult with a counselor regarding details.


Auditing a Course 

Students may audit many classes offered by Napa Valley College. To audit a course, students must have an application for admission on file and an audit request form. The instructor must approve and sign the audit form. The audit form is submitted to the Business Office on or after the first day of classes of each semester. Students may not later change their enrollment status in any audited course to receive credit for the courses. The fee to audit a course is $15 per unit. Students enrolled in six or more semester credit units at NVC may audit three additional units at no extra charge. The audit fee is refundable only through the first two weeks of class and upon request. Additional information and the appropriate forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office.


Catalog Rights 

Students have two options regarding the requirements for the associate degree (graduation requirements.) They are eligible to graduate under the catalog in effect at the time they petition to graduate, whether or not they maintain continuous enrollment at the college. Students who maintain continuous enrollment (by taking at least one course each academic year - fall or spring semester) may also elect to graduate under the catalog in effect during initial enrollment at Napa Valley College.

Catalog rights do not apply to modifications to entrance requirements for programs (e.g., ADN, Respiratory Therapy, etc.) or program prerequisities. Consult the catalog supplement and a counselor for any changes to these requirements.


Course Repetition 

Students may repeat certain classes offered by Napa Valley College. For information on repeating specific courses, consult the Course Descriptions section of the Catalog. Courses which are not repeatable may be repeated if the student received a grade of "D," "F," or "NC" in the course. In this instance, the units from the original course will be removed from the student's grade point average (GPA). The new grade will be recorded on the student's transcript and will be calculated in the GPA. Under no circumstances will the original course be deleted from the student's permanent record. Under special circumstances, students may repeat a course in which they received a "C" or better. Students must file a request to repeat a course in the Admissions and Records Office before they re-enroll in the course. Repeating a course under these circumstances will not change the student's GPA, the second grade will not count even if it is better than the first.


Special circumstances for repeating a course could include:

  • Students entering impacted (limited enrollment) majors where a grade better than "C" is required in prerequisite courses.
  • Students preparing for professional careers such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, law, teaching, engineering and master's degree programs.
  • Students who have changed majors and need to change a "CR" to a letter grade for the new major.
  • Students with "CR" in English 120 and 121 who are transferring.
  • Students whose courses were taken over two years ago.
  • Students whose instructors recommend repeating a course which will benefit them educationally (e.g., Learning Skills Center courses).

Requests to repeat a course are submitted to the Admissions and Records Office.


Credit by Course Challenge 

Any student who is currently enrolled at Napa Valley College may challenge some courses offered by the college. Typically, students take an examination, and the grade received (including F or credit/no-credit) will become part of the student's permanent record. Credit earned by examination/challenge cannot be used to change a grade or to remove a "W" or "I" grade. Students may earn up to 12 total units by challenge. Students in health occupations programs may challenge courses based on their previous education and experience. The recommendation of the Dean of Health Occupations is required. Units awarded to health occupations students may not exceed 12 units. Students who are interested in challenging a course should contact the Office of Instruction, McPherson Administration Building, Room 204.


Dropping a Class 

Students may drop a class through WebAdvisor or by coming into the office and filing a "drop" card.  It is the responsibility of the student to drop themselves from classes they wish not to attend. Failure to withdraw/drop a class by the dates posted in the class schedule or webpage will result in a failing grade. Non-attendance does not constitute an official drop. Do not depend on an instructor to drop you from your classes. If you need to drop a course, please refer to the Admissions and Records Calendar for important drop deadlines.


Family Education Right and Privacy Act (FERPA) 

All student records are kept in accordance with the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Students may request access to records which personally identify the student and may challenge the accuracy of the record or the appropriateness of its retention. A student's consent is needed for the release of records covered by the act. An exception to FERPA's prohibition on disclosure without consent is when a student is considered a "dependent student." Dependent student status is defined by the Internal Revenue Code. If one or both parents are claiming him/her as a dependent on their tax returns, then each parent can have access to the student's educational records. The institution does not need to notify the student or receive his/her consent. The age of the student or the parent's status as either custodial or non-custodial are unrelated to this classification. Student consent is not required for release of records to agencies entitled to access under the provisions of the act, e.g., campus officials, other schools, federal educational and auditing officers, and requests in connection with the application or receipt of financial aid. These provisions apply to records the student has requested or given consent to be released. Complaints as to procedure or improper release of records information may be filed with the Department of Education, 600 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

For additional information about FERPA rules and regulations, you may visit the following website



Each semester a student who is enrolled for a letter grade in 12 units or more and earns a grade point average of at least 3.5 will be placed on the Napa Valley College President's Honor list. This special recognition is noted on the student's permanent record. Students who apply for graduation and have a 3.5 or higher GPA are invited to apply to be the valedictory speaker at commencement.  A committee will choose the valedictory speaker from all applicants.

"President's Honors at Graduation" is noted on the diploma of a student who graduates from Napa Valley College with a cumulative grade point average  of 3.5 or higher. In 1995, Napa Valley College chartered a chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, International honor society of the Two Year College. Students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher are eligible to join.


Incomplete Grade 

Students who cannot complete academic work by the end of the semester because of an emergency or other justifiable reason may contract for an "I" (incomplete) grade. The Agreement to Complete Course Requirements may be obtained at the Admissions and Records Office and must be signed by the student and the instructor. This form includes the conditions for removal of the "I" and the grade to be assigned in the event the conditions are not met. A final grade shall be assigned when the work has been completed or when the time limit for completing the work has passed. The final date of completion shall be a joint decision of the instructor and student but shall, in no case, exceed a time limit of one semester beyond the end of the semester in which the work was originally to have been completed. A student may petition to the Vice President of Instruction for an extension if there are unusual circumstances. The Vice President, with the concurrence of the instructor, may grant the extension.


Military Service Credit 

Veterans may receive credit for military service by submitting their official separation papers (Form DD214) to the Admissions and Records Office. A minimum of six months of service, including basic and recruit training, an Honorable Discharge entitles the veteran to 2 units of health education, and 2 units of physical education. Those with more than one year of service may receive an additional 4 units elective credit for military service. In-service training and U.S.A.F.I. course scores are evaluated on an individual basis. Students should submit the appropriate papers during the first semester of enrollment to the Transcript Evaluator in the Admissions and Records Office.



Pass/No Pass Grading 

Students may choose, no later than the fifth Friday of the semester, to change enrollment in a class to Pass/No Pass basis, rather than receive a letter grade. Academic performance equivalent to a grade of "C" is required to earn credit. Forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office or online. Please note that there is a deadline for requesting this type of grading option.  Refer to the Admissions and Records Calendar for further information.


The total number of units taken for "Pass/No Pass" may not exceed 12 semester units in courses applicable to the associate degree (courses numbered 90-399). Pass/No Pass courses must be outside those required for a student's major, unless this is the only grading option for a course. There is no restriction on the number of units that may be taken for Pass/No Pass in non-degree applicable course work. Pass/No Pass grading requires students to regularly attend class and complete course work. A student will receive a "P" on his/her transcript if class work is of "C" quality or better.  An incomplete designation will be available to students using the P/NP option in conformance with the grading policy.  


If you have chosen a P/NP grating option please be aware that the decision cannot be requested or reversed after the FIFTH WEEK of the semester per Title V Education Code.



Progress Probation 

The first semester a student shows grades of "W," "I" and "NC" in 50% or more of his/her cumulative units of enrollment, the student shall be placed on "Progress Probation-First Semester." The second semester a student earns grades of "W," "I" and/or "NC" in 50% or more of cumulative units of enrollment shall be placed on "Progress Probation-Continuing" status. Removal from Progress Probation When a student on progress probation receives grades of "W," "I" and "NC" in less than 50% of his/her cumulative units of enrollment at Napa Valley College, the student shall be removed from progress probation.


Release of Student Information 

The following statements serve as public notice that, as per Board Policy 6410, information regarded by Napa Valley Community College District as "Student Information" can be released for distribution unless a student submits a Napa Valley College "Student Information Release" form available at the Office of Admissions and Records. Directory information includes: student's name, phone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, current enrollment, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent institution attended. The above categories of information will not be released if the college determines that such release is not in the best interest of the student. For more information on this policy, contact the Admissions and Records Office. Pursuant to the Solomon Amendment (Public Law 104-208 and 104-206), directory information, including student addresses, will be released to the Department of Defense if requested for recruiting purposes. Students who do not want their name released, should complete the aforementioned denial of release form.



Residency Status 

A students residency status is determined by the information that is indicated on the application for admission and any additional proof that may be required for further classification.  For more information on residency please review the Residency section of this webpage.


Student Grievances and Complaint Procedures 

The College believes that all students shall be afforded fair and equitable treatment in the application of all district procedures and regulations. Students who feel that there has been a violation or misapplication of the regulations in the college catalog, board policies, or operating procedures or who feel they have been denied due process may file a complaint or grievance. For complaints of unlawful discrimination, please see section of catalog on the Non-Discrimination Policy. The grievance/complaint must be filed during the semester in which the problem occurs. To file, see the Vice President, Student Services, located in Room 210H of the Administration Building. The grievant/complainant is asked to first address the concern directly to the person or office causing the grievance/complaint. A grade assigned by an instructor cannot be the basis for a grievance, except for specific reasons, as described by the California Education Code (Section 76224): "When grades given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student's grade by the instructor, and in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final." The district agrees that there will be no harassment of grievants/complainants or other students because of participation in the grievance/complaint procedure as a result of filing a grievance/complaing. Complete clarification and explanation of the student grievance/complaint process can be obtained from the Office of Student Services in Room 1339H.


Student Records Retention and Destruction 

Educational records are those records that are directly related to a student and maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. Records are retained and destroyed pursuant to Napa Valley College Board Policies 3500 and 6410 and sections 59020 through 59029 of Title 5, California Administrative Code. For information on procedures for student records retention or destruction, contact the Admissions and Records Office.


Student Right-to-Know Information 

To comply with the federal Student Right-to-Know (SRTK) and the Campus Security Act (Public Law 101-542), Napa Valley College provides information to the public on 1) the safety and security of the campus and 2) the educational outcomes of first-time, full-time freshmen entering int he fall and seeking a degree, certificate, or transfer to another institution. For information on these students, please go to or call 707.253.3330 to obtain a paper copy.