Admissions and Records

Admissions FAQ

If I get on the wait list for a class, what's the next step?

Students who are on the wait list as of the first day of class must go to class on the first day, receive an Add Card from the instructor, submit the Add Card to the Admissions & Records Office, then pay for the class at the Cashier's Office.

If my transcripts from another college do not arrive on time, can I still enroll in the class?

Yes, you may register for classes as long as you are not registering for a class that require you to verify that you have met the prerequisite requirement.  If you want to register for a class that requires proof of having met a prerequisite, you must have your transcripts (official or unofficial) to verify that you have taken the prerequisite class at another college. Submit your transcript along with the Requisite Equivalency Petition to Admissions & Records. You will be able to register for the class pending the decision of the Petition.

Why am I on probation?

There are two different kinds of probation, Academic and Progress probation.

Academic Probation: The first semester in which a student shows a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 for all units completed at Napa Valley College shall be placed on Academic Probation-First Semester status.  The second semester a student who maintains less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA shall be placed on Academic Probation-Continuing status.

Progress Probation: The first semester a student shows grades of W, I, and NC in 50% or more of his/her cumulative units of enrollment, shall be placed on Progress Probation-First Semester. The second semester a student earns grades of W, I, and NC in 50% or more of cumulative units of enrollment shall be placed on Progress Probation-Continuing status.

What is the difference between an AA and AS degree? 

AA degrees are more focused on areas of liberal studies ad are generally awarded to students who are transferring to a four year institution. AS degrees are more focused on occupational areas and provide students with job skills that will help them prepare for entry-level jobs.

When will I receive my diploma? 

Diplomas for spring graduates will be mailed out in September, December for summer graduates, and April for fall graduates.

Will I receive confirmation regarding my graduation petition status? 

Students will receive a preliminary letter stating the preliminary evaluation of their graduation petition approximately three weeks after the deadline to petition for graduation.

How long does it take to evaluate my transcript? 

Transcripts are evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis unless an exigent circumstance exists (exigency will be determined by a counselor or the Associate Dean of Admissions & Records).  Usually transcripts can be evaluated within 6 - 8 weeks of receipt.

How can I find out the result of my evaluation? 

After the eight week timeframe has ended, contact the Counseling Office (253-3040) for an appointment.  A counselor will discuss the evaluation and develop an educational plan.

Where can I get an application for the ADN program? 

You need to attend one of the mandatory information sessions to obtain an application.

Do I need to sign up to attend an informational session? 


Where do I get an application for the Vocational Nursing Program? 

You can get the application for the Vocational Nursing Program at

Do I need to take an English and Math test for the nursing programs? 

Yes, for the LVN and Psychiatric Technician programs.
No, for the ADN program.

How can I appeal my grade? 

The first step is to contact the instructor and request a grade change.  If the instructor does not agree, complete a petition for special privileges in Admissions and Records. The Associate Dean will review the petition and send the grade change form to the Division Chair for the appeal.

I have been dropped from my class.  What can I do? 

If it is an Instructional Drop, students will need to get an Add Card from the instructor and complete the Petition for Late Add, Drop, or Refund and submit them to the Admissions & Records Office. Upon approval of the Petition, students will be reinstated back into the class.

When are grades going to be posted? 

Grade rosters are due after three working days of the last day of classes. After receiving at least 90% of the rosters, Admissions & Records will process the grades and post them to students' transcripts.  This process will take up to four weeks.  Students can view their grades on WebAdvisor.

How do I drop a class? 

Students must drop classes through WebAdvisor or in the Admissions & Records Office.  Students are responsible (not the instructor) for withdrawing from class(es) in which they are officially enrolled. If you fail to attend a class in which you are officially enrolled and do not drop the class, you may receive a failing grade. Be sure to check the "Important Dates" in the class schedule and the Admissions & Records Calendar.  Deadlines vary for dropping summer six and eight week session classes.

What should I do when the class I want to take is closed? 

Option #1: If the class is closed and there is space on the waiting list, you can choose to be on the waiting list.  Be sure to attend the first class meeting to find out if you have been officially added or will be added to the class.

Option #2: If the class is closed and the waiting list is also closed, you may attend the class on the first day. If the instructor drops some students, seats will become available and it is possible that the instructor will give you an Add Card. You have to bring the Add Card to the Admissions & Records Office for you to be officially registered.

What is the maximum number of units I can take? 

The college policy for the maximum number of units per semester is 18. The maximum number of units per summer session is 7.  Students wishing to take more than 18 units during a semester or more than 7 units during a summer session must see a counselor to review, sign, and submit a Petition for Excess Unit Limit.

How many units must I take to be considered a full-time student? 

If you are enrolled in 12 or more units in Fall or Spring semester, you are considered a full-time student. During the summer session, you are considered a full-time student if you are enrolled in 7 or more units.

How do I calculate my Grade Point Average? 

The Grade Point Average (GPA) is computed by dividing the total grade points earned by the total grade points attempted.

Grade Point Average Scale

Grade or Symbol


Grade Points per Semester Unit











Passing (Less than Satisfactory)









No Pass



Incomplete (units not counted in GPA)



Withdrawal (units not counted in GPA)



Military Withdrawal (units not counted in GP)



In progress (units not counted in GPA)



Report Delayed (units not counted in GPA)



Sample Grade Point Average




Grade Points

English 101




Math 141




History 110








Total Units Attempted


Total Grade Points


What are Pass/No Pass Courses? 

There are two kinds of P/NP courses.  The first category consists of classes that are only offered on a P/NP basis.  These courses are listed in the college catalog and noted in the class schedule.

The second category consists of courses that you may choose to take on a P/NP basis.  To do so, you must either register for Pass/No Pass through WebAdvisor at the time of registration, or fill out the P/NP Form and submit it to Admissions & Records by the fourth week of instruction for a semester-length class.  If you choose to take classes on a P/NP basis, you must participate in the class as a regular student. If the grade awarded by the instructor is a C or higher, the grade is recorded as a P.  If the instructor assigns a grade of D or F, the grade is recorded as NP.