Application Procedures for VA Education Benefits (click here for pdf)
1. Verify your eligibility and determine the benefit chapter you are eligible for by calling the 1-888-442-4551 to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor. The chapters are: 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill); 30 (active duty veteran); 31(Voc. Rehab. veteran); 35 (children/dependents or spouse); 1606 (Selected Reserve); 1607 (Activated National Guard and Reserve members after 09/11/01); Veterans Retraining Assistance Program. Please refer to the GI Bill Official Website at www.gibill.va.gov for more details.
2. Complete an Online Admission Application at www.napavalley.edu (if attending NVC for the first time).
3. Submit official copies of transcripts from previous colleges attended, copy of VA form DD-214 Member Copy-4 (if a veteran) or form DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE, if in the Reserves) to the Financial Aid Office.
4. Make an appointment to see Lynda Monger at the General Counseling Center (Bldg 1300, Rm 1339A) to develop a VA Educational Plan one week after you submit your official copies of transcripts.
5. Submit the following documents together to the Financial Aid Office (Bldg 1100, Rm 1132):
First time applying for a VA Education Program?
□ Yes—Go to 5A □ No—Go to 5B
5A. Initial Application or Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607 VA form 22-1990*
Chapter 35 VA form 22-5490*
Chapter 31 VA form 28-1900*(must submit 28-1900 form to VA Voc. Rehab.)
5B. Transfer Students/Change of Program or Place of Training
Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607 VA form 22-1995*
Chapter 35 VA form 22-5495*
You may apply online (22-1990 or 22-5490) and submit a 22-1995 or 22-5495 through eBenefits online at www.gibill.va.gov. Print a copy of your online application.
5C. VA Educational Plan
5D. Statement of Understanding Form*
5E. VA Regulations and Student Responsibilities Form*
5F. Math and English Placement Scores if remedial coursework is needed (below Math 94 and ENGL 120)
5G. Request for VA Enrollment Certification Form, required every semester*
* Available online at www.napavalley.edu/veterans. Click on “Forms.” Note: Incomplete application packet will not be processed. You are required to submit Request for VA Enrollment Certification Form every semsester after you finalized your schedule/registration.
IMPORTANT! CHAPTERS 30, 1606 AND 1607: You MUST VERIFY your enrollment every month with the VA either by 1-877-823-2378 OR by signing on to WAVES at www.gibill.va.gov. Click on "Verify Attendance" (W.A.V.E.).
If you have questions regarding your payment information, eligibility or delimiting date, please call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or go online at www.gibill.va.gov. Click on Questions & Answers.
*** CHAPTER 31: Your enrollment will be certified after the VA Certifying Official receives a VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance Into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status) from the VA Vocational and Rehabilitation and Employment.