CA Dream Act - Financial Aid for AB 540 Eligible Students

This benefit is available to all U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the U.S., and aliens who are not nonimmigrants (including those who are undocumented), who meet all other eligibility criteria.

  • In 2001, Assembly Bill (AB) 540 was passed to allow non-resident students who meet specific high school criteria to pay the lower resident fees at California's public colleges and universities.
  • Dream Act Part I: In July 2011, AB 130 was passed to allow students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.
  • Dream Act Part II: In October 2011, AB 131 was passed to allow students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant. AB 131 goes into effect beginning January 1, 2013.

how to apply for 2013-2014 Financial Aid (BOG Fee Waiver and Grants)

STEP #1: Submit the Residency AB 540 Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form to the Admissions & Records Office for an AB 540 eligibility determination. Contact Jolie SanClair Brown in the Welcome Center or by phone at (707) 256-7214 for additional information. You may disregard this step if you have already been determine AB 540 eligible in the Admissions & Records Office.

STEP #2: Submit your financial aid application. All AB 540 eligible applicants are considered for the BOG Fee Waiver (BOGW). U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens are considered for Federal, and State aid. Undocumented non-citizens, including students who have completed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), are considered for State aid only. All students must apply for scholarships separately.

STEP #3:  Login to WebAdvisor to check your financial aid status and awards (prefered method):

  • Documents required to complete your financial aid application (FAFSA and CA Dream App) may be found under the Communications, My Documents link. Submit any required documents promptly to the Financial Aid/EOPS Office to avoid awarding delays.
  • Financial aid award letters and  individual awards, including BOGW, grants, and scholarships may be found under the Financial Aid link.

You may also call or visit the Financial Aid/EOPS Office during regular business hours to make an appointment to meet with a Financial Aid staff person.  A picture ID will be required to verify your identity when you arrive for your scheduled appointment. Due to confidentiality laws, the Financial Aid/EOPS Office cannot give out information about your application over the phone or by email.

Step #4: Pay to Stay - Napa Valley College has a Pay to Stay in your classes policy. Students who register for classes, but fail to pay their course related fees in full, will be dropeed from their classes 7 days after registration.

    • If you qualify for the BOG fee waiver, only the enrollment fees will be waived when you register for classes. You are responsible for paying all other course related fees IN FULL. Any unpaid or partially paid courses will be dropped for non-payment after the 7-day grace period.
    • Pay your outstanding fees on WebAdvisor or in person at the Cashier Office. You will have a 7 days from the date you register to pay all of your course fees in full or you will be dropped for non-payment.
    • If you pay your enrollment fees and then become eligible for the BOGW fee waiver, the enrollment fees you paid will be refunded to you.